Sunday, April 7, 2013

Cupcake Motorcycle Helmet Bag

In preparation for this year's motorcycle riding season, I thought it might be nice to have something to carry my great big pink Nolan helmet around in when we go places. Taking a cue from the oh so subtle color scheme of the helmet, I thought that this pink polka dotted duck cloth with cupcakes all over it would be a perfect compliment to our usual unusual biker garb.




I started with the theory that I would add a strap to the back so that I could sling it across my torso and carry it basically on my back. I added a small pocket so that I could hide the strap if necessary.



After trying it on, I decided I might need another carrying option, so I added some side straps and I jazzed them up a little by trying out a star stitch on my Brother sewing machine. These straps were just some white twill tape type ribbon I had in my stash.




I even went so far as to add a hong kong type of finish to the seams inside. Another stash bust of some grosgrain ribbon that I've had for quite a while.



We went for a ride tonight and I used it a few times. I think it turned out very nice. I'm most surprised that it actually fits my helmet perfectly. I'm mostly surprised because I basically winged it and made up my own pattern for it. I even had to tweak the zipper since it was a dual separating parka zipper, so I had to remove the second zipper and hand stitch up the closure on it so that the zipper wouldn't come flying off. I think I'm most entertained by the anti-biker image that only cupcakes can truly portray.




3 comments:

  1. I just came across this post, and it's EXACTLY what I'm looking for! Is there a pattern available?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please please please can I get the pattern for this it is just what I need for Christmas prezzies !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. while the availability of full face mountain bike helmets, designed for maximum protection, best motorcycle helmet

    ReplyDelete